Translate

Welcome friends

Glad you are checking in on the blog. You'll find that it is mostly focused on skin care but I may occasionally write about other things. Know the skin your in is also about being comfortable with one's self and sharing that with you. Be it about beauty or personal life. As a mom, I may be compelled to speak of my children. When it strikes me of course.

Please share any thoughts or questions you may have. I will do my best to reply. Have a product that your not sure about, ask me, happy to do the research or share my thoughts on it.

I do have three little ones at home so it makes it hard to blog regularly. However, I will do my best!

Thanks for stopping by.

Be Blessed, Be Healthy and Be Beautiful!

*The material appearing on this web site is intended for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Pages

Wednesday, May 6, 2015

Allergy season is upon us

AAHCHOOOOO!!
Well, it is that time of year where some of us start sniffling a bit more, sneezing a lot more and going through boxes of tissues like wild fire through trees. Many of us may feel as if we are trapped in a field of pollen, waking each morning tour cars coated with a sheath of glowing green pollen. Or for some,  it's like digging your face in cats tummy. AAHCHOOOOO!

So what are we to do? There are so many options out there, which do we chose, right. Here are some of the things we use in my house to reduce the affects of allergens.

Keep a dust free home - This is easier said then done but with some work daily on it, we can limit the amount of dust floating around. Also, we changed the air filter to our central air system and continue to clean it regularly for cleaner air in house.

Steam - I can't say enough about this. At night, I take a mist/steam shower with some of my J.R. Watkins Eucalyptus spray to clear out my air ways. Has really helped a great deal. I sleep better at  night for sure.

Local Honey/ Bee Pollen - The kids and I have been consuming more of the local honey in our smoothies and I have seen a difference in the amount of runny noses. I am a big believer in this. The key is using local honey so you build immunity to the local plants/pollen.

NOTE: If you are allergic to honey, I would skip this for sure. 

Echinacea tea - Drink this tea daily or when your feeling a bit under the weather to speed things along. I drink it at least once a week for maintenance and I haven't fallen sick yet. The brands I prefer are Traditional Medicinal or Yogi teas.

Over the counter medicines - Normally I don't go this route but I have moments when it calls for it. At least with the kids for sure. Zarbee's Naturals Cold or Mucus reducer is a brand I use for the kids. If they do catch a cold with cough, I still use it. However, I use Zarbee's Natural Mucus reducer Nighttime for when my 4 year old has difficulty getting to sleep.

NOTE: I like the fact that he can get to sleep with their nighttime relief but it seems to give him vivid dreams. So be aware that this may happen. 

As for the adults, my husband he uses Claritan D and Flonase. But his allergies were so bad this year that he had to seek further help. And since he refuses to eat the bee pollen or honey on a regular, I believe that is why he is worse off.

For me, I am just figuring out what it is I am actually allergic to since when I lived up North I never experienced allergies like this. All I have ever been allergic to before is Latex and Chocolate. Yes, I know. Valentine's day is lost on me.

See your Allergist - The best thing you can do is see an allergist and get tested to find out what it is that is making you feel so awful. If you are okay taking medications, they can help you with that for sure. Or at the least, let you know what it is you are allergic to in order to help you avoid those allergens. Example: If you know that you are allergic to grass and someone is cutting their lawn outside, don't go outside for a few hours, if you can avoid it. Or if the weather person reports that Dogwood is in high bloom, take your medications before heading out or don't go out. Simple right.

Lastly, when its really bad. We just don't go out. Keep windows closed and hang in doors. But that's not always possible. People have to works, kids have to go to school and so on. Life must go on even when your eyes are itching, nose running and throat aching.

Overall, you have many options out there to help you relieve symptoms of allergies. From simple home remedies to prescriptive medications. Be smart and educate yourself on your health. Talk to your doctor about possible natural remedies you can try before jumping in to prescriptive drugs. Maybe that's just me but I like to avoid pharmaceuticals whenever possible.

Hope this helps you. Let me know if you have a home remedy that helps you through allergy season or if you have tried any of the above with positive or negative outcomes. I would love to hear from you.

Please take a moment to comment, Like, Share and subscribe. Thanks so much for coming by.

As always, Be Blessed, Be Healthy and Be Beautiful!

FOR YOUR SAFETY ALWAYS SPEAK TO A DOCTOR BEFORE STARTING ANY SUPPLEMENTS, VITAMINS OR PRESCRIPTIONS.

No comments:

Post a Comment