Translate

Welcome friends

Glad you are checking in on the blog. You'll find that it is mostly focused on skin care but I may occasionally write about other things. Know the skin your in is also about being comfortable with one's self and sharing that with you. Be it about beauty or personal life. As a mom, I may be compelled to speak of my children. When it strikes me of course.

Please share any thoughts or questions you may have. I will do my best to reply. Have a product that your not sure about, ask me, happy to do the research or share my thoughts on it.

I do have three little ones at home so it makes it hard to blog regularly. However, I will do my best!

Thanks for stopping by.

Be Blessed, Be Healthy and Be Beautiful!

*The material appearing on this web site is intended for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment.

Pages

Sunday, May 3, 2015

My Healthy Orange Chicken

Healthy Orange Chicken my way.


When I was pregnant with the twins, I was craving all things citrus. My poor father went out one night searching for orange creams pops, came back with strawberry and I was so sad. Remember, pregnant = emotional. 

Anyways, my parents introduced me to Orange Chicken from the local Chinese place they order from. I knew of it but never ordered it because well I always thought it was gross. However, pregnant, willing to eat anything and craving citrus, I tried it. From then on, I have been hooked.

Now the thing about this yummy dish is that it's not a food I would feed my family. It's super fattening.  I try to avoid battered and fried when I can. I'm human, I like stuff that's bad for me but I pick my evils. So I looked to The Pioneer Woman, as I so often do for a "Reecipe" (did you catch that?)  and to my surprise she had one but it was breaded and fried. Bummer! So I was about to hit the breaks on that "Reecipe" when I said "What if I use her sauce and just stir fry the chicken and veggies?" 

I started by gathering all my ingredients and prepping them. I started with Ree's sauce recipe. (Yes, I am calling The Pioneer Woman by her first name now. I told you she is my pretend friend. We tight!) I let that simmer for 5 minutes then I turned heat off. I moved on to the chicken. 

This is where Ree and I split ways. (Only for a few minutes.) Dicing chicken into bit size pieces and using a tablespoon of sesame oil in a non stick enamel pan, pepper flakes to taste, tablespoon garlic in pan, I browned chicken. Once browned,  I added frozen edamame, peas and carrots. Covered to cook vegetables for a few minutes.  Lastly, I poor the chicken and veggies into Ree's sauce. (See, I told you we wouldn't be apart that long.) Three tosses in the pan and I am super happy with results. Tangy and sweet with just a little kick from pepper flakes.

Everything was super fast to make and just great tasting with very little food guilt. Not that I have this often but when I can find a healthier alternative I go with it.

Thanks to Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman for inspiring yet another meal in my home, even if it wasn't a complete "Reecipe" (I just love saying "Reecipe.") It was still yum.

F.Y.I. - Sauce freezes well so if you double up the recipe you only have to worry about chicken next time or freeze the chicken browned with sauce for easy microwave reheat meal. Great idea for lunch at work.


For Ree Drummond, The Pioneer Woman's recipe Click HERE Hope you enjoy either of the recipes but I do hope you will try both and see for yourself. Both are good.


Please take a moment to comment, Like, Share or Subscribe. Thanks so for coming by.

As always, Be Blessed, Be Healthy and Be Beautiful!

No comments:

Post a Comment